Ventilation System Design for the Wassa Underground Mine


Keith Wallace, SRK Consulting (U.S.), Inc.; Brian Prosser, SRK Consulting

This paper describes a ventilation project at the Wassa gold mine in Ghana. Golden Star (Wassa) (GSWL), a subsidiary of Golden Star Resources, owns and operates the mine. Golden Star holds a 90% interest in GSWL, while the Ghanaian Government holds the remaining 10% ownership, earning a 5% royalty on the gross revenue of GSWL’s gold production. Construction of the underground mine began in mid-2015 and pre-commercial production started in June 2016. Commercial production from the underground mine was achieved in January 2017. This paper describes the ventilation studies performed to support the initial development and production at the mine. The initial ventilation design included four, parallel surface exhaust fans. Future designs will include booster fans, new primary fans, and additional connections to surface. The paper describes the long-term ventilation planning goals and expectations as the mine achieves a production of 4,000 tpd with truck haulage to surface.