MITEC’s Exploration Technology Division: Helping reverse the trend of declining mineral reserves in Canada
CIM Bulletin, Vol. 89, No. 997, 1996
E.J. Debicki, Research Coordinator, Exploration Technology Division (ETD), Mining Industry Technology Council of Canada (MITEC), c/o INCO Limited, Copper Cliff, Ontario
At the 1992 PDAC Convention, Norman Keevil announced the formation of the Exploration Technology Division (ETD) of the Mining Industry Technology Council of Canada (MITEC). It was evident that base metal reserves in Canada were declining and that the cost of discovering a deposit in Canada was increasing. Coordinated research to develop new exploration technologies was required to discover the next generation of orebodies. The ETD was formed in response. The mission of the ETD is to contribute to the survival, profit, and growth of the Canadian mining industry by improving the efficiency and effectiveness of mineral exploration through prodevelopment of innovative technology by managing and coordinating applied cooperative research. In addition, it is the intent of the ETD to become the principal agency by which cooperative research funds are transferred to researchers from the mining industry. The division is industry driven, industry funded and industry managed. The ETD’s Three-Year Plan has focussed 80% of its research funds toward two objectives, improving the efficiency of exploration for VMS deposits and establishing the parameters necessary to discover the next Hemlo deposit. The remaining 20% is allocated to other projects, with the current emphasis on geophysics. In 1995, corporate members total twentythree major mining companies accounting for 90% of the exploration expenditures in Canada. The ETD is currently managing ten cooperative research projects totalling $4.6 million. Other projects, estimated at $1.6 million, are currently under development.
MITEC’s Exploration Technology Division, Cooperative exploration research.