Geology of the Agnew Lake Mine
Special Volume, Vol. SV 33, No. 1986, 1986
The Agnew Lake uranium deposits were discovered in 1953 following the discovery of the Elliot Lake deposits to the west. The original property was optioned to Kerr Addison Mines Limited who added additional claims by staking. Agnew Lake Mines Limited was incorporated in 1967 to develop the property and a shaft was sunk to 1040 metres and five levels developed before work was suspended due to low uranium prices at the end of 1970.
In 1974-75 the mine was dewatered and production started in 1977. By 1978 reserves were estimated at 10,000,000 tonnes averaging 0.35 kg. U10 , per tonne. Underground operations were terminated in 1980 although a uranium leaching operation was continued until early 1983.
The deposits lie near the contact of Huronian metasediments with underlying Algoman granite. The sediments consist of arkose, conglomerate, argillite and quartzite with the uranium mineralogy mainly confined to oligomictic quartz pebble conglomerate. The higher uranium values are related to conglomerate with highest percentage of pebbles. The chief uranium minerals are uranothorite and monazite. It is of interest that the uranium thorium ratio differs appreciably from that of the Elliot Lake deposits. This fact along with the fact that the Elliot Lake sediments were deposited by paleocurrents from the northwest whereas the Agnew Lake sediments were deposited by paleocurrents from the northeast indicates widely separate sources for the deposits. It is suggested that the Agnew Lake uranium deposits are syngenetic placers deposited under anoxygenic atmospheric conditions.
Uranium, Uranium exploration, Geology, Agnew Lake Mine